I remember my first junior high dance. It was right after school - like put your stuff in your locker and go to the gym. I think it cost $2. That's about all I remember. That and...it was lame.
Perhaps, this is why I was ok with Emma going to her first dance. Her first dance. I swear it was five seconds ago that I got her all dressed up in a cute little denim dress for her first day in the nursery. I picked Emma and her friend, Amber, up from school so they'd have less time on the bus and more time to primp. They primped...a little. We stopped at Albertsons so they could buy a treat and headed up the hill.
I turned the volume down on Taylor Swift and asked the girls the most important question they needed to consider as they entered their first dance. "What do you say when someone you don't know asks you to dance?" I wanted to say "someone ugly" but I figured that answer'd be an automatic: NO!
Luckily, Amber is the right kind of influence on Emma. They both hesitated a little and then Amber said, "Say yes?"
The conversation ensued and we discussed that always say: Yes. It's important to kind to everyone even at a dance. We can say, "Is it ok if my friend dances with us?" if we're uncomfortable. Or if they're "bumping and grinding" (the girls words, not mine - ack!) we can politely excuse ourselves.
The next question, "What if they ask you to go behind the building over there and make out?" was answered quickly with a loud and resounding: NO!!! Thank heavens.
I'm picking them up in half an hour...
3 comments:
You've just convinced me that I will never let my daughter go to junior high!! I don't think my nerves can take it!
I love the innocence!.... Hoping to keep them 11 while theyre 11!
Amber had a great time! Thanks for chauffering them!
T
Good girls. I made a point to always say yes when asked. Then I got this crazy idea in my head that I wanted to go out on dates with 100 guys before I got married, so I really had to say yes to every guy. I didn't make it to 100, though. I stopped somewhere in the 70's.
Post a Comment