Saturday, June 05, 2010

39...for the first time

I'm not one to lie about my age. I say embrace your age...well, in theory. Last week, Rachel, my BFF, turned 39 (sorry to out you, sista). We had a rip roaring weekend where she got to eat whatever she wanted and not make any plans (yes, this is what is exciting to us these days)! Tomorrow is my turn. We're grilling (after church) and will have a fairly mellow "party" with just my family hanging out...like most Sundays around here.



I'm not against turning 39, but I'm not looking forward to it either. With some introspection (I didn't make that word up. I have a big vocabulary...or maybe I heard it on The Big Bang Theory) the thing that bothers me about being 39 *sigh* is that my next birthday...oh, I don't know if I can say it...I'll ...turn....*choke*....FORTY! 365 days until I am in my forties.

Why?! Why does it bother me so? My wonderful grandmother, Beth Fenton, used to tell me all the time, "Don't get old, dear. It's awful." Thanks, Gram.

But what am I worried about? 40 isn't old! I have friends who are in their forties. Fabulous, cool, funny, women who I admire (or is it "whom" - whatever). So, next year I could celebrate my 2nd annual 39th birthday....

...but instead I have 365 days to embrace the milestone that is coming my way. If I'm going to embrace it then I want a big party. I'm not talking a couple of my close friends at Chili's either. I'm talking throw down, all out, everyone I know is invited celebration of AnnaBeth.

Next year. Put it on your calendar, especially, if you are one of those women I love in their 40s (and if you are reading my blog, then I love you). I want every wonderful woman in her 40s that I know to come and share your secrets, share all the things you love about your age.

June 6, 2011.
Party.
My house.

10 comments:

Alicia said...

AND if you are REALLY lucky, you could find out the next day that you, too are having a bonus baby. That way you can deliver 3 months before your big 4-0 and not have to be considered a geriatric pregnancy. Just a thought, but it's working pretty well for me!! :)

Happy 39!! Love ya!

Kelsi {John, Jake, Georgia, Naomi, Alice} said...

count me in!! and Happy Birthday tomorrow. You're the best. I miss you. When can we hang out? Park. Pool. Whatever... let's play... with or without kids SOON!

AMBER said...

I think you're too old to be my friend.

Hurtado Family said...

Well Then I guess will have to wait till were in our 40's to celebrate your b-day...lol

Popi and CeCe said...

Hey! You may be TOO YOUNG to be my friend. 39 is fabulous! Forty is fabulous! Even getting "OLD" is great! I suggest it. Happy Birthday!
Cheryl

Knowlton Mom said...

I think the alternative (not having your 40th) is worse...at least here on earth! (heaven, I understand is fabulous, but you're not done here) I'm all up for partying for your 40th. I'll already be there for a week and will have all kinds of advise for you! Ha! Love you bunches!

Susie @ A Slice of My Life said...

I'm not sure how I came across your blog (should be cleaning but blog hopping is SO much more interesting!) but I've been having fun reading about your family...

Happy Birthday! And don't worry, the 40's will be grand!

Les said...

I had a hard time turning 29 for the same reason. I'm totally ready to turn 39, though. I'm not afraid of my 40s! I'm going to embrace them! (I only have a couple months to go!) Happy Birthday!

See Mom Smile said...

Happy Birthday! 43 is fabulous!

KickButtMommy said...

I'm totally there.