Har and I have 3 kids, a minivan, have been married for 13+ years, and are way closer to the big 4-0 than I care to think about. But last night I felt old for the first time in my life...
We went to a movie and dinner on an impromptu date last night. Sitting in the theater I was getting so annoyed with these kids (for the purpose of this rant "kids" are late teens to early 20s) sitting near us. It was not the first time in recent months I have been sitting in the movie and a blaring light draws my attention away from the movie screen. KIDS texting! And not just for a minute, but for a good portion of the movie. Didn't they just pay to sit and be entertained by a movie? Are their attention spans so short these days that they need to carry on texted conversations during the movie? Are they blogging about the movie while they are watching? Have their parents not taught them any movie theater ettiquette? Do they not hear the public service announcement before the movie begins that asks everyone to please turn off their cell phones? Seriously, I wanted to get up, take the phone out of the kid's hand, and tell him he could have it back when the movie was over....then it hit me. I am old. The thoughts running through my head were all things I'd heard my parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents, & old movie characters say out loud. I was one verbal step away from being T-H-E-M! {scream}
To make matters worse when Har was calculating the tip for our waiter after dinner he was complaining that the *kid* didn't even fill our drinks once and the tip he wanted to leave was less than 10% of our bill! {gasp} Grasping for my youth and some dignity I convinced Har to leave a better tip...he complained about it repeatedly.
Is there a solution to this problem or do I have to resign myself to comparing today's youth to the hardships I faced and complaining about their cavalier behavior? Help me!
0 comments:
Post a Comment